Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Read the Bible, it's great for the soul!

As I have been writing in this blog, I have become even more aware of how much the Bible gives us. We buy tons and TONS of devotionals that are supposed to "clear our soul" "uplift us" "encourage and bless". But really, what do they do? They collect dust and or put us to sleep..(they do for me anyway). It's amazing that people can take a text from the Bible and write a book about it, then make money off of it. Instead of trying to understand the Bible by buying other books to interpret it for us, what we should be doing is reading it over and over until our eyes are opened to what God wants us to see in the passage and we finally understand it. Instead of buying other books to encourage us, we should be looking at encouraging verses from the Bible. A couple of days ago I was a bit discouraged, so I decided to look up a bunch of uplifting verses. You would be amazed at how much stuff the Bible talks about! I read exactly what I needed and was able to read it over and over again, knowing that God said it, not someone who likes to write devotionals. Those are fun and kinda nice, I know I like to write some now and then and reading them is always encouraging, but the times I spend in the word are the most profitable. That is what we need to be doing when we are heavy laden, seek God and see what He has to say. There is really no other source that has as much substance, no other source that fits our every need than God's word! So please, grab some encouragement from the Bible next time you are burdened instead of going to your favorite writer or preacher, they might be good at what they do, but how did they get this way? By starting in the word, let's start there too..people are people, but God is Lord!


No comments:

Post a Comment